Competitive Gaming: What has it done for you? - Call of Duty: Black Ops for PlayStation 3 (PS3) Forum - GameBattles Forums

Old 20 Apr 2011, 2:51 PM EDT   #1
Con7rasT
Banned 4 Life

Con7rasT has much to be proud ofCon7rasT has much to be proud ofCon7rasT has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Con7rasT Send a message via Skype™ to Con7rasT
Competitive Gaming: What has it done for you?

I have not visited any gaming related web page in like 6 months, nor have I played any game competitively. In fact, I sold my Black Ops disk. I had the opportunity to attend MLG Dallas 15 minutes away, just wasn't interested. I have not missed any of the competitive atmosphere at all in the time from when I put down the controller.

I joined Gamebattles in May of 2007, I was only 13 years old. At the beginning, it was an absolute blast. I made a lot of good friends, had some great laughs, and spent way too much time in front of the TV. Two years past, and the same thing goes. Only difference? It was no longer as fun as it used to be. Players would argue over the smallest of things, get mad and claim they "quit" only to come back the following month, and would get way too involved in what is meant to be an enjoyable experience.

I remember meeting some guys like Ludwig, AirWavez, Miner, Chuckstar, MarkyMark, Anarchist, and many others to whom most of you have no idea what the hell I am talking about. I had a lot of fun times with those guys in late 2007/early 2008. However, when I started taking gaming too seriously, and it became more than an enjoyable experience, I started noticing the negative toll it took on my. My grades started to slip, I only saw my friends at school and once a week (max), and things started to just seem to get in the way of my gaming habit. It wasn't up until the release date of Black Ops that I noticed some of the negative effects that competitive gaming had formed upon me.

Most of you truly believe that you are balancing video games on a healthy level. I can tell you from what I've seen on here over the last 3 1/2 years, you're not. You'll find kids lying about their age, social status, weight/height, whatever. Any one who puts on a front on the INTERNET has some social anxiety.

For those of you who have made a descent amount of cash, I congratulate you. Being a competitive gamer itself isn't easy, and coming out with a heavy wallet is one hell of an achievement. For those of you who play and continue to lose money, time, and respect, why don't you take a look at what you are doing wrong? Finding a balance when it comes to gaming a critical, otherwise it can suck you in and form an impact on you.

I never was that amazing, I considered myself a smart player in Cod4 and Modern Warfare 2, but never someone who stood out. I tried and tried to get better, playing up at 3:45 AM on school nights practicing nade spots over the middle building on Backlot, pre-firing on Crash. I wasted way too much time trying to achieve what would never happen, and what is honestly not much to be proud of.

I see a lot of you guys getting sucked in, and not finding a healthy balance between life and video games. They are supposed to be fun, enjoy them.

I'm only 16, and know that 90% of you will either A. Blow this off. B. TL;DR C. Deny. or D. Attempt to "flame" me.

The point of this thread was not to bash on any of you or tell you you are going down a bad path. What you are doing is great, competitive gaming can be really fun sometimes. You just have to look at the big picture. Ten years from now, will having 4 trophies on your Gamebattles profile matter? Will countless hours of Team scrims with kids you will never meet (at a LAN, maybe) matter? No. The point is that in the long run, wasting a good 15% of your youth which could be spent in engaging in more productive activity will not help you.

Now, for those of you who will like I said earlier, "flame" me. Go ahead. It only proves my point further. Sure, I'm 16 and have had little to no life experience, but I beg to differ my intelligence is 12x yours. In the past 8 months, I have sold my website for $1,700, was accepted for a part time scholarship to Arizona State for both Network Security as well as Enterprise Software Development, I have spent a good chunk of my weekends getting together with some friends, I have gotten down to a 6:48 mile time (bring the hate, it's an accomplishment), got a job at the local Quizno's, and won 2 rookie division Paintball tournaments. Sure, it's no the most glamorous success story, but everyone's is different and I am proud of what I have got done from the time I laid the controller to rest.

I'm not saying STOP gaming, I'm saying, look at what is going good, and look at what isn't going so good. Sure, blow me off. I don't care, fact is I will never meet any of you and have gotten over caring what others online think of me. It's pointless and get's you absolutely no where.

So, community. What effect has competitive gaming had on you? Whether it be positive, negative, or a mix of both. Think about what it has done for you. Like I said, will your 3,400 GB Rank really matter 10 years from now? Will all the wasted time, drama, and relationships that came from gaming do anything good for you?

I'm not lecturing anyone. Nor am I preaching and saying that gaming is a bad thing, just posting what I have observed over the past 3 1/2 years.

I visited GB today because I switched from Firefox to Chrome and saw it hidden in my bookmarks bar and figured I'd say I. Didn't realize it would turn out to be this long.

Hope all is well in the community, from what I've seen not much has changed since MW2. Hope to see some positive changes in the near future.

If you read all of this, put the word Subwoofer somewhere in your reply.

Thanks for those of you who read,

-CJ
Con7rasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2011, 2:53 PM EDT   #2
DreaMezT
Banned 4 Life

DreaMezT DreaMezT DreaMezT
Send a message via AIM to DreaMezT
So you're a nerd? Congrats.
DreaMezT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2011, 2:56 PM EDT   #3
DuHMoLisHT1
Spam Bot

DuHMoLisHT1 is becoming hated
Send a message via AIM to DuHMoLisHT1 Send a message via Skype™ to DuHMoLisHT1
Is this supposed to be a persuasive essay? I got bored after the second paragraph.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 3:00 PM EDT   #4
CSchroedz
Road to Glory

CSchroedz has much to be proud ofCSchroedz has much to be proud ofCSchroedz has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to CSchroedz
Subwoofer

Its actually well put
Old 20 Apr 2011, 3:01 PM EDT   #5
Con7rasT
Banned 4 Life

Con7rasT has much to be proud ofCon7rasT has much to be proud ofCon7rasT has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Con7rasT Send a message via Skype™ to Con7rasT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaMezT View Post
So you're a nerd? Congrats.
Nerd? Some would say that. Most likely a child posting on a gaming forum with a one sided mind that only see's his own point of views. Nope. However...
Con7rasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2011, 3:18 PM EDT   #6
LikeButta-
Double Down

LikeButta- has a reputation beyond reputeLikeButta- has a reputation beyond reputeLikeButta- has a reputation beyond reputeLikeButta- has a reputation beyond reputeLikeButta- has a reputation beyond reputeLikeButta- has a reputation beyond reputeLikeButta- has a reputation beyond reputeLikeButta- has a reputation beyond reputeLikeButta- has a reputation beyond reputeLikeButta- has a reputation beyond reputeLikeButta- has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to LikeButta-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con7rasT View Post
Nerd? Some would say that. Most likely a child posting on a gaming forum with a one sided mind that only see's his own point of views. Nope. However...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tha_con View Post
Yes, I am almost 30 and I am taking Trigonometry
LikeButta- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2011, 3:27 PM EDT   #7
xSxKxWx
Road to Glory
Premium Member

xSxKxWx has disabled reputation
Nooberator.

Amazing New LifeStyle Clothing Brand
xSxKxWx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2011, 3:44 PM EDT   #8
ViNSaNiTy-
Road to Glory
Premium Member

ViNSaNiTy- is unpopular at this moment
Send a message via AIM to ViNSaNiTy-
yea i got bored after 2nd paragraph didnt feel like reading an essay LOL.

ViNSaNiTy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2011, 5:40 PM EDT   #9
GoDzSoLDiiEr
Road to Glory

GoDzSoLDiiEr is one of the most hated people on GameBattlesGoDzSoLDiiEr is one of the most hated people on GameBattles
^no life with like 20 trophies, and can't read past the 2nd paragraph.... thats not going to get you a scholarship
GoDzSoLDiiEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2011, 6:06 PM EDT   #10
TheConqueror
Double Down

TheConqueror has a brilliant futureTheConqueror has a brilliant futureTheConqueror has a brilliant futureTheConqueror has a brilliant futureTheConqueror has a brilliant futureTheConqueror has a brilliant futureTheConqueror has a brilliant future
I know of Chuckstar and MarkyMark.

Signature by -CuBoNe-
TheConqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2011, 6:21 PM EDT   #11
MissFourEyes
Mile High Club

MissFourEyes has much to be proud ofMissFourEyes has much to be proud ofMissFourEyes has much to be proud ofMissFourEyes has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to MissFourEyes Send a message via MSN to MissFourEyes Send a message via Skype™ to MissFourEyes
Didn't even read. Already know what it's going to say.
MissFourEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2011, 6:26 PM EDT   #12
PH1LLYF4N
Banned 4 Life

PH1LLYF4N is a splendid one to beholdPH1LLYF4N is a splendid one to behold
You are 16, you have no priorities, game all day!
PH1LLYF4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2011, 1:02 AM EDT   #13
UPHEAVAL
Forum Nuisance

UPHEAVAL is a name known to all
i dont even get why people are flaming you.i think this is a good thread.
UPHEAVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2011, 1:09 AM EDT   #14
Whetz
Forum Virtuoso

Whetz has a reputation beyond reputeWhetz has a reputation beyond reputeWhetz has a reputation beyond reputeWhetz has a reputation beyond reputeWhetz has a reputation beyond reputeWhetz has a reputation beyond reputeWhetz has a reputation beyond reputeWhetz has a reputation beyond reputeWhetz has a reputation beyond reputeWhetz has a reputation beyond reputeWhetz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Whetz
Good thread, reminds of the things I've noticed over the years. Congratulations on your achievements. Don't think they're not important. I still play competitively when I've got time to do so. Before I had so much time to just do nothing, so I went all out on this game. The drama certainly isn't worth it, but the people you meet are. Subwoofer.

Whetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2011, 1:10 AM EDT   #15
KyRoMaNCe
The Ukulele God

KyRoMaNCe has a reputation beyond reputeKyRoMaNCe has a reputation beyond reputeKyRoMaNCe has a reputation beyond reputeKyRoMaNCe has a reputation beyond reputeKyRoMaNCe has a reputation beyond reputeKyRoMaNCe has a reputation beyond reputeKyRoMaNCe has a reputation beyond reputeKyRoMaNCe has a reputation beyond reputeKyRoMaNCe has a reputation beyond reputeKyRoMaNCe has a reputation beyond reputeKyRoMaNCe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KyRoMaNCe
It's done nothing for me, just met a FEW cool people. All the rest was a waste of time and I wish I never would have gotten into it.