Would you consider wwe to be considered a sport? - Page 2 - GameBattles Forums

Old 17 Apr 2012, 11:22 AM EDT   #16
PhiLLy_FaN
Forum Nuisance

PhiLLy_FaN is becoming hated
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefruitcake View Post
Yet

Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

And

Sport: All forms of competitive physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical fitness and provide entertainment to participants.

WWE/TNA/etc are sports, whether or not the winner is pre-determined is irrelevant.
WWE is not a competitive physical activity, as it's meant to entertain views and the actual actors are competing against one another with a winner already predetermined.
PhiLLy_FaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2012, 12:47 PM EDT   #17
sadken
Star in the Making

sadken has a reputation beyond reputesadken has a reputation beyond reputesadken has a reputation beyond reputesadken has a reputation beyond reputesadken has a reputation beyond reputesadken has a reputation beyond reputesadken has a reputation beyond reputesadken has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to sadken Send a message via MSN to sadken Send a message via Skype™ to sadken
Quote:
Child, no use for me to embarrass you in your own first language since you've just done that.

Those wrestlers "Strive" aka they "make great effort to achieve (money) or obtain (title belt) something"

To "attain a goal" aka title belts/popularity/money

"victory" ...self explanatory

Sport.
One is 'wrestling' to win, while the other is 'wrestling' to lose that very same match (due to acting out the script). Therefore by definition, they cannot be competing as one person is in fact 'wrestling' for a disadvantage and/or loss.

The WWF even made the term "Sports Entertainment" for obvious reasons.

Just because they are by definition Athletes, it doesn't mean everything they do is a sport. Also, sports today is regulated and you can get into alot of trouble for match-fixing, if found out.
sadken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2012, 5:42 PM EDT   #18
lefruitcake
No Thread Unturned

lefruitcake has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to lefruitcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiLLy_FaN View Post
WWE is not a competitive physical activity, as it's meant to entertain views and the actual actors are competing against one another with a winner already predetermined.
Sport: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess

Isn't always competitive.

Take snowboarding, it's a sport, and no I'm not competing when I'm out on the mountain.

Like I've said before, whether or not it's pre-determined is irrelevant.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 5:45 PM EDT   #19
lefruitcake
No Thread Unturned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadken View Post
One is 'wrestling' to win, while the other is 'wrestling' to lose that very same match (due to acting out the script). Therefore by definition, they cannot be competing as one person is in fact 'wrestling' for a disadvantage and/or loss.

The WWF even made the term "Sports Entertainment" for obvious reasons.

Just because they are by definition Athletes, it doesn't mean everything they do is a sport. Also, sports today is regulated and you can get into alot of trouble for match-fixing, if found out.
Read my above post, also read my post regarding gladiators. Then sit back a think a little before replying. thx =)
Old 17 Apr 2012, 7:32 PM EDT   #20
Tankdown
Going Strong

Tankdown has disabled reputation
in itself, yes, obviously. in a competitive sense, erm, well... no, obviously.

same thing as kicking around a football. the act of playing is a 'sport', but not in a competitive sense, same way as wwe wrestling is the 'kickabout' of actual wrestling. for some sort of competitive element to be applied, it needs to have an object which people compete to accomplish, i.e, not pre-determined.

when people cheat, they are still participate in sporting activity, just not competitively.
Tankdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2012, 8:43 PM EDT   #21
BIG-JODA
Going Strong

BIG-JODA is a name known to all

i never understood how people could get exciting by actions like dat ^^^^
Old 18 Apr 2012, 4:27 AM EDT   #22
sadken
Star in the Making

sadken has a reputation beyond reputesadken has a reputation beyond reputesadken has a reputation beyond reputesadken has a reputation beyond reputesadken has a reputation beyond reputesadken has a reputation beyond reputesadken has a reputation beyond reputesadken has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to sadken Send a message via MSN to sadken Send a message via Skype™ to sadken
Quote:
Read my above post, also read my post regarding gladiators. Then sit back a think a little before replying. thx =)
Not sure what definitions of sport you are finding

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sport

Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

You make a silly point with snowboarding, an Olympic sport. When you're just "out on the mountain" you're either practicing/working or indulging in a hobby.

This point about the gladiators, I don't see how it's relevant. Something that was unregulated hundreds of years ago with animals, criminals and slaves ect thrown in to die for peoples pleasure. Also, as I've said previous, just because people are athletic it doesn't mean everything they do is a sport. Anyway, this is is such a non-issue, I'm just about done with this thread.
sadken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2012, 11:03 AM EDT   #23
PHiGGy
ANNEFRANKATTICPARTY

PHiGGy has much to be proud ofPHiGGy has much to be proud ofPHiGGy has much to be proud ofPHiGGy has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to PHiGGy Send a message via Skype™ to PHiGGy
Quote:

Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

You make a silly point with snowboarding, an Olympic sport. When you're just "out on the mountain" you're either practicing/working or indulging in a hobby.

This point about the gladiators, I don't see how it's relevant. Something that was unregulated hundreds of years ago with animals, criminals and slaves ect thrown in to die for peoples pleasure. Also, as I've said previous, just because people are athletic it doesn't mean everything they do is a sport. Anyway, this is is such a non-issue, I'm just about done with this thread.
You just pointed out exactly what he is saying about wwe bud.
They're not big for no reason you don't see little wimpy kids in there everyone is all shredded the **** out as in they have to PRACTICE the SCRIPT. and WORK for the ENTERTAINMENT

wwe is the stupidest thing i've ever seen. but i can see how it could be consider a sport. saying it can't is just ignorant
PHiGGy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2012, 2:34 PM EDT   #24
lefruitcake
No Thread Unturned

Quote:

Do I?

Snowboarding: a sport that involves descending a slope that is covered with snow on a snowboard attached to a rider's feet using a special boot set onto a mounted binding

Surfing: a surface water sport in which the surfer rides a surfboard on the crest and face of a wave, which is carrying the surfer towards the shore.

Not every sport requires you to compete.

WWE's technically a sport.

People that can't face truth <
Old 19 Apr 2012, 7:58 AM EDT   #25
Sage_One
Vanguard

Sage_One has a reputation beyond reputeSage_One has a reputation beyond reputeSage_One has a reputation beyond reputeSage_One has a reputation beyond reputeSage_One has a reputation beyond reputeSage_One has a reputation beyond reputeSage_One has a reputation beyond reputeSage_One has a reputation beyond reputeSage_One has a reputation beyond reputeSage_One has a reputation beyond reputeSage_One has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sage_One Send a message via Skype™ to Sage_One
They have curling as a sport, you can't tell me that takes more skill then gaming.

Sage_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2012, 1:10 PM EDT   #26
lefruitcake
No Thread Unturned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage_One View Post
They have curling as a sport, you can't tell me that takes more skill then gaming.
You obv needa to go out there and curl, It would take years to get good at, why doy ou think Kevin Martin is so old ahah?